[yt-dev] Fwd: [IPython-dev] Data viz in the notebook with JS

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 14:47:25 PDT 2012

Hi all (including Fernando, who I forgot was subscribed when I
forwarded that message a few days ago!),

This may also be of interest here.  It's more from IPython mailing
lists about implementing widgets like what we have in Reason, using
their notebook engine.  As my work on Reason lately has been
refactoring it for client-side maintainability and to work with
ExtJS4, I haven't thought about the python-side of it lately, and this
would have to touch that a bit.

If you want to play with the most recently released IPython notebook,
it's available when yt is installed with the INST_0MQ option set to 1.
 The command "ipython notebook" will get you started.

Any enterprising devs that want to work on integration should
definitely speak up; my time is otherwise mostly occupied for the
near/mid-future, but I'd be happy to lend a hand where I can.  I'd
want this to be part of the ExtJS4 port, as I don't see any point in
having two major, independent sets of changes to Reason.

Advantages to using IPython-notebook:

 * Using websockets will reduce latency between actions and responses
by a considerable amount
 * Outsource all of the kernel launching (MPI/Queue/local), which
would probably ease the development of interactive in-browser parallel
VR
 * Outsource dealing with process handling
 * Payloads sent from yt widget code would not *necessarily* need to
be received within Reason, but could possibly be displayed in a
vanilla Notebook

Disadvantages:

 * Several additional external dependencies (zeromq, pyzeromq, jinja2,
tornado).  Three of these are currently optional dependencies in the
install script.
 * Payload system will have to be rewritten
 * Unclear amount of our REPL/Notebook code will have to be rewritten
 * The IPython notebook's storage format (SQLite) may not play nicely
with all Lustre systems
 * Possible impedance mismatch between JS libraries used in Notebook and ExtJS4
 * My understanding of how WebSockets work doesn't cover how they work
when SSH tunneling to bind to a socket, so I am putting potential
glitches from this approach under "disadvantage"

For those interested, my ExtJS4 work is in my fork at
https://bitbucket.org/MatthewTurk/yt-extjs4 .  The code is
considerably cleaned up from the first generation of Reason, and I
think more inviting for development.  As an example, compare the code
for these sets of files between the old Reason and the new:

New:
yt/gui/reason/html/app/controller/widgets/PlotWindow.js
yt/gui/reason/html/app/view/widgets/PlotWindow.js

Old:
yt/gui/reason/html/js/widget_plotwindow.js

View & handler code has been completely separated, and I believe
there's just enough magic to make developing new widgets easy and
straightforward.  I'm still porting existing widgets and bringing
basic functionality up to spec, but the architecture is complete.

-Matt