[yt-dev] API links in the docs?

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 08:14:58 PDT 2012

Hi Nathan,

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 10:50 PM, Nathan Goldbaum <nathan12343 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Looks like the issue is at line 244 of conf.py:
>
> autosummary_generate = glob.glob("api.rst")
>
> should be:
>
> autosummary_generate = glob.glob("api/api.rst")
>
> The corrected will autogenerate all of the api pages as expected.
>
> I think we should turn this on but we should think about a way to include
> the api docs in a saner way.  Maybe there's a better way to use sphinx
> autodoc?

Unfortunately, I don't know what that is.  Using the non-autosummary
(and non-numpydoc) would mean rewriting all of our docstrings, and
also getting rid of the full-length descriptions of individual
routines.  So while we could do that, we need to know that's what
wer'e getting into.  That's a decision that's certainly worth
revisiting, but I do think that we benefit from the relative depth of
individual routine documentation with the autosummary style.  If it's
really just the indexing that is an issue, then perhaps that should be
addressed separately -- but it might have to be addressed via queries
to the sphinx mailing list.