[yt-dev] Parallelism and iteration

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 06:34:03 PST 2012

Hi all,

As some of you may know, I'm working on the geometry subsystem.  Right
now I'm in the process of constructing incremental reads ("chunking")
off disk, with intermediate reduction operations.  In the past, this
was usually handled by individual tasks, such as profiles, in a pretty
gross and manual way.  In fixing this up, I noticed we have three
different parallel iteration methods.

This question is probably best directed at Sam or Britton, but others
might also have an opinion.  Is there any reason why, from within a
subclass of ParallelAnalysisInterface, I wouldn't just use
parallel_objects instead of the GridObjectIterator or GridIterator?

As a related question, can I get rid of the warning for when running
parallel_objects on a single processor?

(The geometry handling is coming along nicely, I think.  Right now
reading from objects works well (and is faster) and the abstraction of
grids as opposed to octs or particles has worked well.  It's a ways
from being feature complete, but if you want to play with it it's all
in bb://MatthewTurk/yt-refactor .)