[yt-dev] Four big YTEPs right now, plus a couple PRs

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 16:59:59 PST 2012

Hi all,

I'm trying to clean off my plate before disappearing for a few days,
and I wanted to round up some outstanding PRs and YTEPs.  So far I'm
quite happy with how YTEPs have been going, as I think that
constructing these living documents will pay dividends over time.

YTEPs:

There are currently four outstanding YTEPs, even if one has been
accepted and the discussion has moved.  I would like to solicit
comments on these from the community.

 * Casey proposed new field names.  One issue Devin brought up today
is pretty interesting, which is that a big area we have not really
discussed is in naming of molecular and atomic species.

https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/ytep/pull-request/3/ytep-0003

 * Kacper has some vector field ideas:

https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/ytep/pull-request/4/ytep-0004

 * I just submitted a YTEP documenting Octree support:

https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/ytep/pull-request/5/initial-import-of-octree-ytep/diff

(Related N-body/SPH notebook: http://hub.yt-project.org/nb/h2tvp7 )

 * And finally, the profiling YTEP has been accepted, but discussion
of specifics has moved over to the pull request itself:

https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/pull-request/369/new-profile-objects-that-are-cleaner-and

Once the discussions there (specifically, now about weighting) have
been resolved I will update the YTEP to reflect them.

--

All of these are really places where contributions of thoughts and
ideas (and code!) are greatly appreciated.  Many of them relate to yt

There are also two additional outstanding pull requests:

 * Sam has re-written the kD-tree code to be much cleaner and nicer.
(I made the mistake of misreading his PR and providing line by line
comments -- sorry, Sam!)  Testing of this PR would be greatly
appreciated.

https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/pull-request/383/amrkdtree-rewrite-volume-rendering

 * Nathan has addressed some issues with FLASH domains, which I think
needs some insight from individuals more experienced with FLASH  than
I am.

https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/pull-request/382/checking-if-a-user-specifies-ymin-ymax-and

--

Okay, that's all.  Please comment on the YTEPs, PRs, etc etc.  I'll be
high-latency for a few days, as I suspect many others will too, but if

One additional thought to put out there is, should we be doing
outreach to the community of people who don't consider themselves
developers as we create these YTEPs and PRs?  To solicit feedback, for
instance?