[Yt-dev] Simulation Database

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 10:33:08 PDT 2011

Hi Stephen,

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 12:03 PM, Stephen Skory <s at skory.us> wrote:
> Matt,
>
>>  There's
>> quite a bit of interest in this from several parties.  The IVOA has
>> this on their agenda, but I think there is a place for something
>> that's immediately useful with low overhead and complexity, whereas
>> they are designing something much more ambitious.
>
> Do you know if they're (IVOA) designing something that has both a
> personal database and a public database?

I honestly have no idea, but I assume first the latter, then the
former.  I have done a small amount of work setting up Enzo as a
"Simulator" for their databases, but after the workshop I was at where
I was meeting with some VO people, work on that sort of tapered off
abruptly.

> Because what I was
> envisioning is a personal database; an extension of the
> parameter_files.(csv/db) file to cover more than one machine. It could
> be as simple as writing something to use something to use this in
> tandem or as an alterative to the SQLite file:
>
> http://aws.amazon.com/simpledb/

Okay, this is better than I realized it was.  This is actually all we
would need, I think.  Federating between instances might be more
complex, but this should cover almost all of our needs.  Boto supports
it:

http://code.google.com/p/boto/

with code like:

http://code.google.com/p/boto/wiki/SimpleDbIntro

This is awesome.  We actually would not really need a webapp if we
used this, and furthermore, it is easily extensible and not very much
money.  The free tier is ample to cover storing information about all
the simulations you run, and it could be extended to support storing
extracted data products from yt.  This is perfect.

Thanks for the pointer -- this is super cool.  How would you see this
working, in practice?

-Matt