[Yt-dev] Introducing the yt hub

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 10:55:33 PDT 2011

For the record, Britton may be the brains behind this operation, but I
think I speak for both of us when I say that the success or failure of
the Hub (as opposed) to the Barn will lie with people's interest and
eagerness to contribute and share.  I think one aspect of that is
impressing that these scripts, utilities, applications etc need not be
yt scripts, related to yt in any way, or even Python.  Another is
sharing genuinely useful things -- which everyone that has submitted
so far has done a good job of doing.

In March we conducted a yt user survey.  One of the things that stuck
out at me was that 2/3 of respondents asked for "Complex, multi-step
examples" of data analysis to be included in the documentation.  Since
that time, Britton and I have been bouncing ideas back and forth about
how to allow for and facilitate user submission, and I think we
finally stumbled on one we like.  Based on the submissions and
traffic, I think we can declare it a provisional success; hopefully it
will continue being successful, which will rely on a base level of
interest, attention, and engagement.

Anyway, I'll be submitting repositories of scripts I use for papers in
the future, along with other scripts and utilities along the way.
Hopefully we can spread that around a bit!  :)  Thanks to everyone --
John, Sam, Cameron, Stephen, Devin -- that has submitted so far.

-Matt