[Yt-dev] Interest in a yt Workshop?

Sam Skillman samskillman at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 10:52:59 PDT 2011

Hi all,

>  * Host an online workshop / office hours
>

> Another alternative Sam has suggested which I like is instead
> to host office hours in IRC or G+ or something with video.

I think this could be pretty useful on something like a every few months
timescale, or more frequent if they are found to be productive.  If we
combined G+ Hangouts (since nearly everyone has gmail) with a code sharing
program like http://collabedit.com/ or http://codr.cc/ we could have a
developer or two hang out and be available to chat with new/old users about
any issues.  I think just publicizing that we'll be hanging out through the
yt-users list a few days ahead of time would do the trick.  Anyways, this is
a pretty low maintenance option that would allow "face-to-face" interaction
with new users.

As for the physical meeting, I think it would be great to have and advertise
to not only the people who are already on the yt-users list but also to
people on the teragrid/XSEDE that don't know that they should be interested
in yt.

Sam