[Yt-dev] AAS splinter meeting

david collins antpuncher at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 07:55:28 PDT 2011

I emailed the contact person for setting up a splinter meeting.  It
sounds like this is an avenue open to us, and has some potential
benefits.  I kind of like the walk-in demo space idea, but that's
probably outside of the scope we were looking for right now.  They
charge a a few hundred for the room, but that's likely going to be the
same if we rent a conference room at a hotel.  I'm definitely not
married to the idea, so if y'all would rather do somewhere or somewhen
else that's also grand.

d.

David,
It sounds like a splinter meeting is exactly what you would need.
Splinter meetings can be private (invitation only), or public, and
public splinter meetings will be listed in the online meeting
materials as well as in the printed meeting program. Anyone that is
registered for the meeting may attend your splinter meeting.
There is no set format for splinter meetings, it is kind of a "catch
all" term we use for anything that is not specifically science session
related. We can schedule invitation-only splinter meetings in any time
slot you would like, but we try not to schedule public splinter
meetings against our Plenary Invited talks (8:30am, 11:40am, 3:40pm,
and 4:30pm each day). An exception to this would be if you wanted to
have a "open-house" kind of set up all day, where people could come in
and out at their leisure to test your software--we could schedule that
for a long block of hours with no problem. It also sounds like you
might need more than one format--maybe a walk-in space for demos, and
a smaller meeting space for developers and private meetings.
Either way, we can accommodate you. You can fill out the form
available at http://aas.org/meetings/splinter_proposal_form.php, or
you can send the details to me and we can figure out what will work
best. The splinter form also has most of our AV pricing, for
reference. I can take AV orders and catering orders (if applicable) as
well.

Thanks,

Lisa Idem
Meetings Manager