[Yt-dev] Simulation Database

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 04:20:03 PDT 2011

Hi Tom and Stephen,

Tom -- your field list looks great.  I think what it (and Stephen's
suggestion of topgrid[012]) convinced me is that we need a Simulation
entry, not just the SimulationOutput, as the only variable we expect
to change is the number of cells and potentially the number of
particles.  I like including them, particularly as they are also good
proxies to the simulation size.  I'll work on manipulating to support
these items, possibly indirectly with variable length fields, and
adding the simulation entries (which might be more work and which I
don't know how to directly support non-Enzo datasets with yet.  Any
suggestions from other code devs would be greatly appreciated!)

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 2:49 PM, Stephen Skory <s at skory.us> wrote:
> Matt,
>
>> Thanks for the pointer -- this is super cool.  How would you see this
>> working, in practice?
>
> I don't think that we should abandon a local database. There are
> enough firewalled machines out there, which would block SimpleDB
> acces, meaning a local copy is still useful. I think SimpleDB should
> be complimentary to local database(s). I'm not sure that the SimpleDB
> copy should be pulled from in the same way that the local copy is when
> yt runs.

Right, of course -- I wasn't suggesting we only use SimpleDB, just
that it works for the "remote" component, in a complementary fashion
as you suggest.  The rest that you outlined looks awesome, and I am
100% on board.  One module I stumbled across recently that might end
up being of help is urlparse, which might ease the issue of addressing
remote hosts.

I really encourage you to think about this and explore it, and bring
it to the list to share and discuss.  Even a small support of this
kind of interaction would be ... amazing.