[Yt-dev] pHOP in YT question

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 12:10:53 PDT 2011

Geoffrey and Stephen,

Identifying halos with only a single particle by itself makes a pretty
good argument that pHOP should apply a "minimum number of particles"
setting.  If you are interested in the requirements for resolving a
halo with Enzo (which I believe is the source of the data you are
using) you should see the discussion on yt-users between Brian O'Shea
and Michele Trenti, and the papers cited therein, for more
information.  I would humbly suggest that you rethink what you are
doing if you are trying to find the ellipsoidal extent of a four
particle "halo."  Come on, really?

Even if we were able to get past the requirement that the word "halo"
has some kind of semantic meaning when discussed in the context of a
single particle, just from the perspective of creating Python objects
for each Halo this can cause a gigantic problem.

-Matt