[yt-dev] Timeline and Issues for 2.3 Release

Sam Skillman samskillman at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 09:56:56 PST 2011

Hi all,

After the totally awesome G+ hangout, we've made a few decisions on the
upcoming 2.3 release.

First of all, we have set a deadline of December 15th.

Out of the "new stuff since 2.2", shown below, I have created documentation
issues
https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/issues?status=new&status=open&milestone=2.3
for each feature (except the bug fixes).  In order for the feature to be
included in the 2.3 release, the corresponding documentation issue must be
closed.  Stay tuned for Jeff's email describing what is needed for a
documentation issue to be closed.  If on the 15th a given feature has not
been passed through this process, it will be bumped to 2.4.

I have assigned many of the tasks to individual people, but there are a few
that have not yet been assigned.  If you see your feature on that list,
assign it to yourself and start documenting!

New stuff since 2.2:

 * Multi-level parallelism
 * Real, extensive answer tests
 * Boolean data regions
 * Isocontours / flux calculations
 * "deliberate_field" branch merge (pending PR)
 * PHOP memory improvements
 * Bug fixes for tests
 * Parallel data loading for RAMSES, along with other speedups and
improvements there
 * Performance improvements for volume rendering
 * (beta) Rockstar interoperability
 * Adaptive HEALpix support (with a few bugs left)
 * Column density calculations
 * Massive speedup for 1D profiles
 * Lots more, bug fixes etc.  (Including a bug fix for the tests!)
 * Re-organization of Docs/Website

Your Diamond Manifold Overlord,
Sam