[Yt-dev] parallelism when ngrids < nprocs

John Wise jwise at astro.princeton.edu
Sun Feb 20 14:22:29 PST 2011

Hi all,

I was calculating some quantities for a halo list with 32 processors,
and it broke when it tried to calculate derived quantities for small
halos with less than 32 grids within its sphere.  I fixed it for enzo
datasets and posted the diff here.

http://paste.enzotools.org/show/1511/

First it broke in the preload function when the grid list is null, and
it tried to get a field list from the first grid.  That was easily fixed
by returning data = None.  Then I had to modify the mpi_catarray
function to consider a null dataset (len(data) == 0).

I don't like how I modified the preload function because it only applies
for the enzo frontend.  Is there another routine that can be modified
that affects all data formats, so this fix can be generalized?

Thanks,
John