[Yt-dev] cython auto-install

John Wise jwise at astro.princeton.edu
Fri Feb 18 20:44:18 PST 2011

Hi,

I was trying to update one of my installs on a kubuntu (10.10) desktop,
which I haven't done since the Cython files started to be generated on
the client's computer.

When I tried to install it, my desktop didn't have "pip" by default.

yt> sudo python setup.py install
Received error on importing Cython:
No module named Cython
Now attempting to install Cython
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "setup.py", line 18, in <module>
     import pip
ImportError: No module named pip

But this was easily fixed by a "sudo apt-get install python-pip".  I
just wanted to share this if you think pip needs to be auto-installed
also.  I don't know if this makes any difference, but this installation
didn't use the install script.

John