[Yt-dev] Interest in a yt Workshop?

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 09:26:11 PDT 2011

Hi Marcel, Casey, Chris,

Marcel: The Enzo workshop is at Columbia, in NYC, from Oct 12-15.

So after about a week, I think it is becoming clear that there's
*some* interest in a workshop, but that perhaps it isn't quite yet to
critical mass.  For an in-person workshop, either standalone or
piggy-backing on a larger workshop/conference, to be a success I think
we would need some kind of participation from both new
users/developers as well as more experienced participants.  I think
trying to get this all together this fall might be rushing it a bit.

Perhaps we could try for a virtual workshop, or to try to piggy back
on a conference sometime later this fall or next year.  HIPACC runs a
series of conferences and there will also be Enzo workshops next year
(at which one could find several yt developers.)  I've heard rumors of
the Enzo workshops being in CA or CO, which are a bit more centrally
located for some attendees.

That being said, I think there's enough interest that we could
definitely set up (and find a tiny bit of money for) a few small (2-4
people) collaboration "workshops" or meetings.  I think it would be
great if some day we could have a full workshop / conference, but I
think it's still a bit early for that.

Thoughts from anyone?

-Matt