[Yt-dev] Parallelism

Stephen Skory s at skory.us
Tue Aug 2 07:52:59 PDT 2011

Hi Matt,

> 1) Would an opcode / function dispatch mechanism be an acceptable
> replacement for a humongous proliferation of functions?

I am not sure that there is a good reason to go all the way to a
single function, if I understand you correctly. For example, there's a
reason that the 'math' module doesn't work like this:

x = math('sqrt', 4)
y = math('pow', 2, 4)

Because it's cumbersome. I think reducing the number of functions,
especially those with type/precision in their names is fine, but I
don't see the benefit in going farther than that. Or perhaps I don't
understand what you're describing.

> 2) Is anyone willing to write tests in the framework, so that we can
> make these kind of changes to the code base?

I'v already done some of this, and I'd be willing to help out some more.

--
Stephen Skory
s at skory.us
http://stephenskory.com/