[Yt-dev] Call for testing: New install script (also some GUI things and OSX 10.6)

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 09:20:25 PDT 2010

Hi Rick,

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Rick Wagner <rwagner at physics.ucsd.edu> wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>
> On Sep 8, 2010, at 11:43 AM, Matthew Turk wrote:
>
>> Hi Rick,
>>
>>> Yes, I've used the 10.6 script in the past with no problem. Personally, all of the software I build on my Mac goes into /usr/local. This can be rationalized as a desire for consistency with other computes that I work with, but it's really just that I don't build enough OS X-specific software to learn about frameworks, etc.
>>
>> I've learned enough about Frameworks to mostly regret it.  ;-)  My
>> recollection of the motivation for framework builds is twofold -- one
>> for the access to the native widgets, and the other (possibly the same
>> thing?) was the access to the ObjC frameworks.  For instance, you can
>> get bindings to do a lot of things.  But with yt, specifically, we
>> have no reason to use any of the ObjC frameworks.
>>
>> So I guess the question is, if the install_script.sh works, do we want
>> to spend *any* effort on maintaining a second set of scripts for the
>> framework builds?  Or should we just say adios to them?  I see that
>> you've used the 10.6 script, but has the old install_script.sh (or
>> even the current one with INST_BZLIB = 0) worked for you?
>
> Since I've started testing it, I'll keep going. With bzlib "off", the next failure is matplotlib looking for FreeType. I have this in /usr/local, but that may not be part of the search path. Is there any way to modify the include and linking flags?
>
> --Rick
>
> Installing matplotlib-0.99.3 (arguments: 'matplotlib-0.99.3')
> Failure.  Check /Users/rpwagner/tmp/yt-test-install/yt-i386/yt_install.log.
> namor:yt-test-install rpwagner$ tail yt-i386/yt_install.log
> src/ft2font.h:127: error: template argument 2 is invalid
> src/ft2font.h:133: error: ‘FT_BBox’ does not name a type
> src/ft2font.cpp:45: error: ‘FT_Library’ does not name a type
> src/ft2font.cpp:96: error: variable or field ‘draw_bitmap’ declared void
> src/ft2font.cpp:96: error: ‘FT_Bitmap’ was not declared in this scope
> src/ft2font.cpp:96: error: ‘bitmap’ was not declared in this scope
> src/ft2font.cpp:97: error: ‘FT_Int’ was not declared in this scope
> src/ft2font.cpp:98: error: ‘FT_Int’ was not declared in this scope
> /Users/rpwagner/tmp/yt-test-install/yt-i386/lib/python2.6/site-packages/numpy/core/include/numpy/__multiarray_api.h:1187: warning: ‘int _import_array()’ defined but not used

I had occasion to look over the install script today and noticed that
there's a variable used call MPL_SUPP_LDFLAGS.  I went ahead and added
a couple more:

MPL_SUPP_CCFLAGS
MPL_SUPP_CXXFLAGS
MPL_SUPP_LDFLAGS

During the matplotlib build, these will get passed as CCFLAGS,
CXXFLAGS and LDFLAGS.  I think they should do what you're looking for.
 I've pushed the changes to the hg repo in branch 'yt' as changeset
2b532c6e0153.  If you get a chance, try with the install script in
there and let me know how it goes?

Thanks,