[Yt-dev] Verbosity Increase

Stephen Skory stephenskory at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 7 10:13:33 PST 2010

+1.

Stephen Skory
stephenskory at yahoo.com
http://stephenskory.com/
510.621.3687 (google voice)

----- Original Message -----
> From:Matthew Turk <matthewturk at gmail.com>
> To:yt-dev at lists.spacepope.org
> Sent:Tuesday, December 7, 2010 11:10:15 AM
> Subject:[Yt-dev] Verbosity Increase
>

> Hi all,

I would like to propose that we increase the verbosity of two
> operations:

1) When a parameter file is parsed, I would like several
> pieces of
information output via the "INFO" level of the logging
> handler.  This
would be the current simulation time, the dimensions of
> the domain,
and any cosmological parameters.
2) When print_stats is called
> in the hierarchy, I would like to
include all of the cosmological
> parameters.

The reason I'm bringing this up rather than just changing it
> is that
in the past yt has (rightly) been accused of being too verbose
> (in
fact, it was one of the first things Jeff said to me the first time
> we
met to talk about yt!) and I don't want to increase
> that
unnecessarily.  But, I feel strongly that as we move into more
> codes
we need to be more upfront about what yt thinks of a given
> simulation
output.  I think that this will also help ensure that errors
> are
avoided.

+1/-1?