[Yt-dev] Verbosity Increase

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 10:10:15 PST 2010

Hi all,

I would like to propose that we increase the verbosity of two operations:

1) When a parameter file is parsed, I would like several pieces of
information output via the "INFO" level of the logging handler.  This
would be the current simulation time, the dimensions of the domain,
and any cosmological parameters.
2) When print_stats is called in the hierarchy, I would like to
include all of the cosmological parameters.

The reason I'm bringing this up rather than just changing it is that
in the past yt has (rightly) been accused of being too verbose (in
fact, it was one of the first things Jeff said to me the first time we
met to talk about yt!) and I don't want to increase that
unnecessarily.  But, I feel strongly that as we move into more codes
we need to be more upfront about what yt thinks of a given simulation
output.  I think that this will also help ensure that errors are
avoided.

+1/-1?