[Yt-dev] Call for testing: Quad Tree projection

Samuel W Skillman Samuel.Skillman at Colorado.EDU
Mon Aug 30 06:52:58 PDT 2010

Hi Matt,

Looks like some good speedup:
Old: 5.53041e+01
New: 2.57021e+01

This was on a 6 level AMR everywhere.  I will note that as you mentioned,
the disk cache does do a lot, as here was the results from the first run:
Old: 5.51695e+01
New: 2.23177e+02

Cheers,
Sam

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 1:06 PM, Matthew Turk <matthewturk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I added the quad tree projection to the tip of the hg repository.
>
> If you could please put it through a few paces, that'd be great.  You
> can access it as the attribute "quad_proj" on a hierarchy.  I've done
> some speed testing and the generality necessary to get it to work with
> sources and whatnot makes it a bit slower than if it was just fed the
> data, but it's still about twice as fast on my datasets as the old
> projection method.
>
> It doesn't work in parallel yet, but give it a shot on some big
> datasets anyway -- I tested it on a 1024^3 L7 and it worked fine in
> serial.  But, I know how to parallelize it, and the parallelization
> process should also speed up the serial projections.  (It will allow
> us to better choose the batching of IO.)  I think this projection
> method should also scale *much* better for parallelism, because we
> shouldn't have to do domain decomposition to parallelize, which was
> always a killer on nested grid simulations.
>
> I'd like to push forward with this, so if you get a chance to try it,
> report back with any issues.  I'm sure there will be several...
>
> I've placed a comparison test here:
>
> http://paste.enzotools.org/show/1134/
>
> (But note that disk cache will favor the old projection method the
> first time you run, so run at least twice.  :)

Samuel W. Skillman
DOE Computational Science Graduate Fellow
Center for Astrophysics and Space Astronomy
University of Colorado at Boulder
samuel.skillman[at]colorado.edu