[Yt-dev] Please push all unpushed changesets to hg

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 16:32:30 PDT 2010

Hi everyone,

The hg repository has to undergo some major changes (Jeff is composing
an email that will detail the motivations for this) and to that end
we'll need to wipe it and restart it.  In short, to connect the *old*
SVN history to the *current* hg history, I had to run "hg convert"
which shuffles all the changeset hashes -- recall that an SHA hash is
used to identify every changeset in hg, and it's created by looking at
the diff, the parents, etc etc, so splicing in the old history has
changed these.

I can handle the conversion process with as many changesets as
necesary, but because you will have to re-clone *and* all the
changeset hashes will change, I need to make sure I convert them all
to the new repository.

To that end, please push all unpushed changesets *immediately*.  I'm
going to close it to push on Monday morning.  Anything else will have
to be transplanted (which is really not a huge deal, keep in mind ;-)
but as of Monday you will have to re-clone.

Sorry for the inconvenience ... I tried really, really hard to avoid
this, but because hg has indelible history it's unavoidable.  However,
I am able to store the old changeset IDs in the new repository, and
I'm exploring mechanisms for setting them up as "tags" so that they
will still be accessible and point to the new changeset hashes.

Thanks very much,

Matt