[Yt-dev] New documentation

Britton Smith brittonsmith at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 13:35:15 PDT 2009

Matt and company,

I really like the way the docs are shaping up.  The layout looks nice and
the disqus comment section is a really nice addition.  Is there a way to
have an author be notified in some manner when a comment is left on a doc
page that they wrote?  As the author of a page, I feel like I'm probably
unlikely to return to that article very frequently as I'm already quite
familiar with the subject matter.

I also second the idea of centralizing all things related to code examples.
The cookbook is a nice place, since new users are given a menu of things
they can do right on the cookbook page.  I feel code examples are more
likely to get checked out and used if there's an easy place to be made aware
of their existence.

Finally, I think the cookbook could use one more section for extensions
recipes, that is using the stuff in yt/extensions.  I'm thinking of the halo
finders, halo profiler, light cone, EnzoSimulation class, etc.  The docs
already have a section for extensions, but I think there's a distinction
between the extensions docs and extensions recipes.  For example, I will
write a doc page for the EnzoSimulation class, but also have a page on how
to use this with the halo profiler that I think belongs in the cookbook.

Britton