[Yt-dev] mpi4py on an altix

John Wise jwise at astro.princeton.edu
Sun Nov 8 09:41:34 PST 2009

Hi,

This is particularly aimed at Matt since he has experience with
installing mpi4py on an altix :-)  I saw your post on the mpi4py list (http://tinyurl.com/ybnb6p7
), but I'm running into another problem.

I'm trying to install the latest svn version with the stock sgimpi
setup in mpi.cfg.  I've also tried with intel's v10.1 compilers (v9.1
was the default).

It compiles and installs just fine, but when I try to load mpi4py.MPI
it can't find the MPI libraries.

----
he:jwise>python
Python 2.6.3 (r263:75183, Oct 19 2009, 12:15:19)
[GCC 3.3.3 (SuSE Linux)] on linux2
 >>> import mpi4py.MPI
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: /home/astro/jwise/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/
mpi4py/MPI.so: undefined symbol: MPI_Comm_get_name
----

libmpi and libmpi++ are in /usr/lib, which is in my LD_LIBRARY_PATH
(just in case... it should be included by default).

If you haven't run into this problem before, maybe you (or someone
else) could give me some tips on tracking down the mis-config.  I
haven't debugged something like this before...

Thanks!
John