[Yt-dev] Projection speed improvement patch

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 22:25:00 PST 2009

Hi Sam,

I guess you're right, without the info about the machine, this doesn't
help much!

This was running on a new machine at SLAC called 'orange-bigmem' --
it's a 32node machine with a ton of memory available to all the
processors.  I checked memory usage at the end of the run, and after
the projection ahd been save out a few times it was around 1.5 gigs
per node.  I'm threading some outputs of the total memory usage
through the projection code, and hopefully that will give us an idea
of the peak memory usage.

The file system is lustre, which works well with the preloading of the
data, and I ran it a couple times beforehand to make sure that the
files were in local cache or whatever.

So the communication was via shared memory, which while still an MPI
interface is much closer to ideal.  I will be giving it a go on a
cluster tomorrow, after I work out some kinks with data storage.  I've
moved the generation of the binary hierarchies into yt -- so if you
don't have one, rather than dumping the hierarchy into the .yt file,
it will dump it into the .harrays file.  This way if anyone else
writes an interface for the binary hierarchy method, we can all share
it.  (I think it would be a bad idea to have Enzo output a .yt file.
;-)  The .yt file will now exist solely to store objects, not any of
the hierarchy info.

-Matt