[Yt-dev] yt-hop configuration improvements?

Stephen Skory stephenskory at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 23 15:33:12 PDT 2009

Britton,

> Does anyone have any idea how long parallel hop should take on one of the L7 light cone datasets?  I've got it running on the last one, RD0036, on 32 cores for the last 90 minutes on kraken?  Stephen, you probably know better than anybody.  Any ideas?

I typically have been running with 64 cores on Ranger or Kraken, and that typically takes about 5 minutes per core to do the actual HOP. The rest of the time is reading data, and Ranger is noticeably faster than Kraken. I'd say it's about 20-25 minutes on Ranger and more like 30 on Kraken. 90 minutes is too much, unless Kraken's disk is taking a dump, which is entirely possible. I've been seeing lots of sluggish periods on Kraken's scratch disk. Oh, I should add that I am also giving 8GB per MPI task on both of these machines.