[Yt-dev] binaries

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 11:28:13 PST 2009

> Yeah, about that, I still cannot get it to run the the compute nodes, at least I can't get matplotlib to import. Perhaps I did something wrong in my install. I'm going to work on something else today and perhaps come back to Kraken on the weekend. But I can import numpy and tables (not shown), which is good.

This is a bug I was able to fix by googling.  You have to manually
patch your matplotlib (I guess this patch slipped through our
fingers?) to return None for a locale or something.  It's on google,
but I'm on my phone.

> You're unlikely to get slashdotted, but that 7TB limit is a pipe dream. Shared hosting resource limits, because CPU usage limits are hard and relatively low, are unattainable. But you probably already knew that...

The point was not to engage in pipe dreams, but rather to indicate
that if we start hosting huge files, we will still have bandwidth to
spare.  Our target here is not high-CPU cost requests, but low-cost,
high-size requests.