[Yt-dev] HOP on Kraken XT5

Stephen Skory stephenskory at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 17 14:55:59 PDT 2009

Matt,

> Ah, of course -- the tmpname call should have handled that.  But it
> wasn't, and perhaps it wasn't because CNL is not set up for temporary
> file names?  It looks to me like tmpnam should also respect the
> environment variable TMPDIR; perhaps without this patch, we could try
> setting the TMPDIR variable to the current working directory?

I can give it a shot.

> > This looks okay; so you construct a random int, and use that as the
> > filename?  Does it get removed later?

Yup, that temp file is removed, no problem.

> > I honestly haven't seen these issues before, but if we have multiple
> > processors writing to the same file we *should* have seen them.  Darn
> > it.  Any chance you can see a way to get rid of the scratch file
> > completely?

Sure, one can store the stuff in an array. It appears that the file is created, written to, read from and removed all in the same function. But then we should ask ourselves why the file is being used in the first place, then? There may be a reason. Memory concerns? But from the looks of it the file shouldn't have very much in it.