[Yt-dev] HaloFinding stars/dm

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 08:21:19 PDT 2009

I think the idea is correct, but we can do a slightly better
implementation.  I was planning -- as I mentioned to you off list --
to code up something to handle this, but other obligations got in the
way.  So here's what I'd suggest.

Create a new derived quantity, TotalParticleMass.  Add as an optional
argument particle_type (I have no interest in using creation_time any
longer as a distinguishing factor, so feel free to overload the field
in EnzoFields.py) and then "if particle_type is not None" use it as a
cut for the particles.  Otherwise just sum up ParticleMassMsun.

We should be using Quantities here rather than a sum of the data
source's field anyway, and this'll be a great time to convert!

-Matt