[Yt-dev] yt timing function

Stephen Skory stephenskory at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 25 13:31:26 PDT 2009

Hi,

What do we think is the best way to go about adding a very basic benchmarking tool to yt?

Right now my thought is to simply add to mylog 'benchmark'. For each part you wanted to benchmark you'd wrap it with two statements:

mylog.benchmark('start complicated mess')
mylog.benchmark('end complicated mess')

Instead of printing this to stderr/out, it would go to a standard file, or something that could be easily analyzed by a simple function. The nice thing about using mylog is Matt has already got processor labels working, and it has timestamps. It would be therefore also trivial to have nested benchmarked sections, etc...

Thanks for your comments!