[Yt-dev] Cookbook

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 09:05:52 PDT 2009

Hi guys,

After [chatting with / getting chewed out by] Brian, it's become clear
to me that while we have barely passable narrative documentation, the
cookbook is sorely lacking.

I'd like to start a brainstorming over what would be good to go in a
cookbook.  I will use a sample dataset as input into a number of
things and then, in the documentation, include both the images and the
scripts inline for people to view.  Additionally, these will all be
accessible somehow by automated download -- but I haven't quite worked
the specifics of that out yet.  I am thinking along the lines of:

$ yt cookbook slices

and then have that spit something out into stdout, which it'll grab
off the web.  (I'm toying with different ways of doing this.)

Anyway, can we get some discussion of the right things to include in
such a cookbook?  I'm thinking the following:

simple slices
simple projections
simple phase plot of a sphere
simple radial profile of a sphere
cutting plane
overplotting contours on a slice
overplotting grid lines on a slice
quiver plot

Most of these are maybe one or two lines, so please feel free to
suggest other "simple" things as well as much more complicated ones.
I'd really like some feedback on this, so I have a good idea on what
*should be included*, y'know?  What else should be in there?