[Yt-dev] Parallel Hop

Stephen Skory stephenskory at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 23 14:10:27 PST 2009

All,

I think I've figured out the particle deficits. In the parallel HOP routine, there is a total_mass calculation that adds up the mass of the particles on all the procs with padding=0.0 temporarily. If you run parallel HOP with padding 0.0, and add up the numbers of particles going to each proc, you'll get *more* than the actual number of particles. Quoting Matt: "This is a result of adding grid['dx'] onto the selection criteria for cells." So total_mass is being calculated with too many particles, which changes the density adjustments that need to go into each run of HOP.

Here's pictures and a more detailed explaination:

http://stephenskory.com/research/?p=1544

On the negative side, the periodic particles are still not being plotted. Which is odd since they appear to be included in the haloes with the total_mass fix.

So we need to make the total_mass calculation correct.