[Yt-dev] Contouring

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 17:51:39 PST 2009

Hi guys,

Just got off a conference call with Britton and Dave.  The highlights
of the discussion were that the contouring is going to get rewritten,
in two phases.

1. Dave is going to check in the ability to demand bifurcation of
clumps during clump finding; this is an extension of Britton's
Clump.py.
2. I'm going to start (some day) on rewriting the contouring algorithm
to use one from the paper "Efficient Computation of Topology of Level
Sets" by Pascucci and Cole-McLaughlin 2002.  This is longer term, but
it's faster than the one I wrote a year ago and it gives the entire
tree in a single pass.

Britton has some good ideas about other improvements to the clump
finder, as well; the upshot of point #2 is that this tree will be
trimmable in exactly the same way as the current method, but it will
be smaller, faster, and give you more information.  It's also
parallelizable.