[Yt-dev] more non-unique particles in enzo and how to deal with them

Britton Smith brittonsmith at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 15:17:19 PST 2009

Hi everyone,

Stephen's latest update of his new parallel hop to check for unique-ness of
particle indices has shed light on another problem.  In a recent simulation
run with the devel/trunk version of enzo, I have found the particle numbers
are no longer unique when star particles are generated.  Originally, the
star particle indices by adding to the number of dark matter particles, such
that if you had N dm particles and M star particles, the dm particle indices
when from 0 to N-1 and the star particle indices went from N to N+M-1.

However, now it seems that the star particles simply go from 0 to M.  Before
I go any further, I will mention that the star particles can be
differentiated from the dark matter particles by the particle_type data, so
we're not totally screwed.  The point is that for the time being, hop no
longer works.  The question is this: what is the best solution for dealing
with this?  I am more than willing to write something to remap the particle
indices, but that doesn't fix the underlying problem.  I have already done
something similar to this for a different application, so I can do it
quickly.  OR, something can be done to hop to read in particle type.
Clearly, this question is mainly for Stephen, but anyone should feel free to
weigh in.  What is the best solution?

Britton