[yt-users] Conversion of Arepo file into Enzo format?

John Wise jwise at physics.gatech.edu
Wed Oct 11 04:37:53 PDT 2017

Hi Anna,

I've converted Gadget datasets to Enzo in the past (circa 2004!).  I
used qhull to generate a Voronoi tessellation that was then used for
interpolation to a Cartesian grid.  Then I manually refined that grid,
flagging cells for refinement, and interpolating to finer grids around
those cells.  After all of this, I wrote a complete Enzo dataset out
(grid files, hierarchy, and parameter file) from scratch.  Be
forewarned: there is some numerical noise created during the conversion,
so we needed to let the system relax over a sound-crossing time.

I think you can do this with the tools provided in yt.  It's not
straightforward, but it's doable.  I remember it took me about 2 weeks
as a 3rd year PhD student (using IDL...), starting from scratch.

You'll have to regenerate the hierarchy file and parameter file.  There
is no mechanism to write them out, so you'll have to reverse engineer
Enzo's write routines in python.  I'm not too familiar with the octree
in yt, but you should be able to turn those interpolated grids into an
Enzo dataset, using h5py to write files directly in the Enzo format.

I hope this gets you started in the right direction, and I think using
yt as an interpreter between formats is the easiest way forward.

Thanks,
John

On 10/11/2017 12:03 AM, Maan Hani wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As far as I know, no-one has used the Voronoi grid to create the derived fields. However, you can simply read the Arepo data as a Gadget dataset. I have done that in the past and it works just fine with minor issues. I will try and cleanup the backend I cannibalized and maybe add it to yt as a temporary fix.
>
> Cheers,
> Maan

> Maan H. Hani                                    www.astro.uvic.ca/~mhani
> Vanier Scholar - PhD. Candidate
>
> Dept. of Physics & Astronomy        Tel  : +1 250 721 8845
> University of Victoria                        Fax: +1 250 721 7715
> PO Box 1700 STN CSC
> Victoria, BC, V8W 2Y2
> Canada

John Wise
Associate Professor of Physics
Center for Relativistic Astrophysics, Georgia Tech
http://cosmo.gatech.edu