[yt-users] Fwd: Cluster best configurations for YT

Tomer Nussbaum tomer.nussbaum at mail.huji.ac.il
Tue Nov 28 01:55:56 PST 2017

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Tomer Nussbaum <tomer.nussbaum at mail.huji.ac.il>
Date: Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 6:08 PM
Subject: Cluster best configurations for YT
To: yt-users at lists.spacepope.org

Hi,

We have updated our cluster lately, but our YT platform works very slow
(loads one snapshot an hour, when couple of people run together...).
I wanted to ask you if you can help solving this issue from your experience.

We use infiniband, and we see that the main problem is lots of request in
random access to our hard drives,
so the problem can be in fine tuning YT on the Nodes, or fine tuning the
file system

This brings up this couple of issues (maybe more, if you have another idea,
I would be thankful to know):

   1. *IO readings - *Is there a way to optimize the io readings requests
   to the file server?
   2. *YT configurations -* Are there specific parameters in the YT
   configuration for this status?
   3. *File server behavior -* Can we set reading server functions (we use
   hard drives, serial reading status)?
   4. *Metadata cache -* Does using metadata cache will solve the issue?
   5. *zlib usage - *How can I check if this feature is activated, how much
   is it important in the YT platform?

I will really appreciate any help with it,
Thanx,
Tomer