[yt-users] ANN: Trident CGM/IGM Analysis Code v1.1 Released

Cameron Hummels chummels at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 16:26:11 PST 2017

On behalf of the Trident development team, I am happy to announce a new
stable release of Trident, a python-based code suite for analyzing
astrophysical hydro simulations to investigate the CGM/IGM and produce
synthetic absorption spectra.  This release is accompanied by a shift in
development from mercurial/bitbucket to git/github, continuous integration
and testing with travis, and a number of bugfixes and additional features.
Our changelog (below) has a full description of the changes in this
version.

Full installation instructions are available in our documentation, as are
instructions for a number of common use cases in working with your
datasets: e.g., adding arbitrary ion fields, making column density maps,
calculating column densities of individual sightlines, generating
absorption line spectra.

There has also been recent development in the yt community to treat
particle-based datasets more natively rather than by depositing to a grid
and then processing.  This effort, nicknamed "*demeshening*", is being led
by Nathan Goldbaum, Meagan Lang, and Matt Turk, with Trident contributions
by Bili Dong and myself.  Not only does it get more accurate results, but
it is faster and uses less memory since particle fields don't need to be
deposited to a global grid.  This code is now in beta, and users are
encouraged to use it and give bug reports.  There are full instructions for
installation of it available in the Trident docs, and we expect the next
stable release of Trident will incorporate it.

Please don't hesitate to contact the mailing list with any questions or
problems you may encounter with the code, and I encourage you to share this
announcement with other scientists who may be interested in using Trident.

*Trident Page:* http://trident-project.org
*Trident Code:* https://github.com/trident-project/trident/
*Trident Docs:* https://trident.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
*Trident Paper*: http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2017ApJ...847...59H
*Changelog to Trident 1.1:*
https://trident.readthedocs.io/en/latest/changelog.html
*Installation Docs for beta "demeshened" yt and Trident:*
https://nbviewer.jupyter.org/url/trident-project.org/notebooks/trident_demesh_install.ipynb

--The Trident Developer Team:
Cameron Hummels
Britton Smith