[yt-users] reading the fields correctly (ramses-rt)

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Wed May 31 12:13:07 PDT 2017

Hi Salvatore,

I think we'll need to add support for these data formats to yt itself.

Before we moved to github there were some attempts to add support for more
ramses fields in these pull requests:

https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/pull-requests/1464
https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/pull-requests/2139
https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/pull-requests/2499
https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/pull-requests/2500

Unfortunately none of those efforts proceeded to the point where we could
merge the code in.

If you'd be interested in working on this, I think it would be a great
initial contribution to yt.

If you're not interested in adding support for this, then we could at least
open an issue to track this feature request:

https://github.com/yt-project/yt/issues/new

It would also be nice if you could include some sample datasets that
someone who is interested in working on this but does not have access to
ramses-rt could use to debug with while working on this feature.

In the end yt's support for data formats is limited by what sorts of data
the developers who have worked on any given part of the codebase have had
access to. Unfortunately given the culture of astronomical simulation
codes, that sometimes means we do not support all possible versions of a
given data format simply because we were not aware of that subset of the
data format when we initially added support.

Hope that helps,

Nathan