[yt-users] NetCDF autoloader

Kacper Kowalik xarthisius.kk at gmail.com
Sat Mar 4 15:11:33 PST 2017

On 03/02/2017 01:19 PM, Marianne Corvellec wrote:
> Dear yt community,
>
> I am relatively new to this list and this is my first time posting.
> I'm still getting acquainted with the yt library.  At least now I'm
> enjoying a fully functional setup locally (something which had been on
> my to-do list).
>
> I've had an informal chat with Matt Turk about using yt in
> climatology.  He mentioned some folks were working on a NetCDF
> autoloader.  I would love to connect with these folks, and possibly
> help out.
>
> Thank you!
> Marianne

Hi Marianne,
I played a bit with the idea of autoloading NetCDFs into yt. Once upon a
time we tried to create an interactive visualization of a climate
dataset that was handed to us. In the process we came up with a simple
script that could be used to read netcdf and feed yt with the data:

http://paste.yt-project.org/show/7068/

That's just a simple hack, rather than something "production" ready.
However, If you'd like to create a proper frontend for generic
climate/geo data I'd love to help.
Cheers,
Kacper