[yt-users] Extracting a list of star particles, their positions and masses from enzo

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 08:32:00 PDT 2017

You need to define some particle filters. Enzo only has one on-disk
particle type. Particle filters let you define new particle types based on
some filtering criterion. For Enzo it's usually sufficient to filter on the
('io', 'particle_type') field.

There is an example of adding a particle filter with enzo data in the docs
here:

http://yt-project.org/docs/dev/cookbook/calculating_information.html#using-particle-filters-to-calculate-star-formation-rates

And more information on particle filters here:

http://yt-project.org/docs/dev/analyzing/filtering.html?highlight=filter#filtering-particle-fields

The Enzo frontend does not predefine any particle fields since we don't
want to accidentally cause users to generate anaylsis or visualization
results based on a particle filter definition that does not apply to all
data types.

-Nathan

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 10:28 AM, Carla Bernhardt <
carla.j.bernhardt at gmail.com> wrote:

> Nathan,
>
> Yes, of course. Here is what I tried
> <http://paste.yt-project.org/show/7082/> and here is the error message
> <http://paste.yt-project.org/show/7084/> I get. What I tried might not be
> the right way to get this list, but I was hoping someone else has done this
> before and has some insight.
>
> Best,
> Carla

>> Hi Carla,
>>
>> Can you share the script you're running and the full error message and
>> traceback you're seeing? If you can, it helps if you can make your script
>> that triggers your issue as minimal as possible.
>>
>> We have the yt pastebin set up for sharing snippets of code and text:
>> paste.yt-project.org.
>>
>> -Nathan
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 2:30 AM, Carla Bernhardt <
>> carla.j.bernhardt at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear yt users,
>>>
>>> I am trying to extract a list of star particles and their positions and
>>> masses from enzo. This seems to be right along the lines of this
>>> tutorial <http://yt-project.org/doc/analyzing/fields.html>, but I am
>>> still stuck. If I try
>>>
>>> print(ad["dark_matter", "particle_position"])
>>> print(ad["stars", "particle_position"])