[yt-users] Analyzing SPH data

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 22:08:09 PST 2017

I think the most straightforward thing to do here is to fix the Gadget
frontend so it properly reads in gadget binary data with positions written
in double precision.

Is there any chance you can generate a smallish test dataset in your Gadget
output format that we can use for debugging purposes? With that available
it should be straightforward to add support. You can share the dataset
using the yt curldrop (https://docs.hub.yt/services.html#curldrop) or a
cloud filesharing service like dropbox or google drive.

Unfortunately there isn't a way to load SPH data without a full-fledged
frontend right now.

We do have a load_particles function which allows creating a dataset from
particle data loaded as numpy arrays, but it's currently not possible to
use it to load SPH data.

I'm currently actively working on improving support for SPH data in yt and
adding the ability to load SPH data with load_particles is one of the
things I've added in that branch of the code. Hopefully this work will be
stabilized sometime in the next few months.