[yt-users] Feedback about change to the RAMSES frontend

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 11:04:00 PDT 2017

Hi all,

I'm mailing both yt-users and yt-dev since I don't think there are many
ramses users on yt-dev.

I'd like some feedback from users of the RAMSES frontend about a pull
request I just proposed:

https://github.com/yt-project/yt/pull/1463

See the pull request for details, but briefly, I've made it possible to
access the 'particle_age' field values for cosmology simulations as they
are stored in the ramses outputs. Currently we apply an in-place conversion
from conformal time to proper time when we read these data in, and it turns
out this conversion makes it difficult to write a particle filter for DM
particles that will work for all RAMSES data.

The trouble is that if we change the meaning of the particle_age field,
this may break the scripts of people who are currently using yt with RAMSES
data. Then again, we already made such a change when we added the in-place
conversion a year ago.

If you have thoughts and opinions about this I'd very much appreciate to
hear your comments on github.

-Nathan