[yt-users] Dark Sky Simulations, analysis gone wrong.

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 1 18:26:24 PDT 2017

I was able to get the following script to work locally using yt 3.4-dev.
Unfortunately I hit a cython type error on yt 3.3.5 when yt tries to read
the particle radial velocities off disk.

https://gist.github.com/ngoldbaum/9506a215c8ae5770e0149dccde8ed012

I think what was happening with your memory error is that you either
weren't loading the dataset with the .midx10 file or you weren't loading it
with a sufficiently small bounding box.

Back to your original question - "radial_velocity" is a field defined for
gas fields in AMR or SPH datasets. For particle data like dark_skies,
you're going to need to use the "particle_radial_velocity" field.

Sorry that took a little while to figure out, I haven't touched the dark
skies data or thingking in years so it took me a while to figure out how to
properly load the data.