[yt-users] Volume render with two variables?

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 12:39:29 PST 2017

Hi Scott,

Making it easier to do this has been a longstanding issue. If you'd be
interested in doing code development along this front that would be very
welcome.

Right now the best place to start would be the MultiVariateTransferFunction:

https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/src/23d0e83400c92b26416052a26d89444bdd1de9ed/yt/visualization/volume_rendering/transfer_functions.py?at=yt&fileviewer=file-view-default#transfer_functions.py-240

Right now this is only directly exposed to users for "isocontour" volume
renderings (see the ColoTransferFunction subclass), but in principle it
could be generalized to do what you're looking for (e.g. the brightness
coming from density but the color coming from temperature). I think John
Wise even used it for exactly this a long time ago, but to my knowledge no
one has ever used it for this sort of thing beyond experimental use cases.
Having a user-visible API for setting this sort of thing up would be really
nice.

Sorry that I don't have an immediately useful response, but I hope this
proves helpful.

-Nathan