[yt-users] loading eagle data using yt

Britton Smith brittonsmith at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 10:40:26 PST 2017

Hi Charlotte,

It looks like the support for Eagle data in yt is currently pretty thin,
but this could be improved with a little effort.  For the first part of
your question, what is missing is just a bit of code for the Eagle frontend
to look for these fields on disk and set them up in a similar fashion to
how it's done in the Owls frontend.  This is probably a day's worth of work
that I could help out with, but not for another 2-3 weeks.  However, if
you're interested in taking this on, I think you could do it and I would be
happy to provide some guidance.

I believe the second issue relating to your dataset only having one file is
actually a simple bug.  We don't have any testing data for this format with
only one file.  Would you be able to provide a smallish (<1GB) single-file
dataset for us to use for testing?  If so, I can probably fix this bug
quickly.

As to your last question, I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but yt
currently needs to create an octree for particle datasets before it can do
anything with them.  For datasets of the size you're dealing with, this
takes a while.  However, Nathan Goldbaum and others are currently working
on a completely different way of handling particle data in yt that should
take care of this issue.  I'm not sure what the timeline on that is.

Britton

On Sat, Feb 18, 2017 at 1:00 AM, Charlotte Brand <charlottemarlijn at gmail.com