[yt-users] Profile data

Jason Galyardt jason.galyardt at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 12:58:27 PST 2017

Dear yt Users,

Does anyone know of a way to export the data of a profile object to a byte
stream? Specifically, I'd like to be able to store several byte streams
from several different simulation files into a single dictionary object
(for example), and then pickle the dictionary. I'd like to then unpickle
the dictionary object at a later time for plotting, etc.

I have figured out a way to do this, but it involves saving each profile to
a temporary file, reading the temp file into a byte stream, and then
pickling the byte stream; then to reload, I would have to unpickle the byte
stream, write it to a temporary file, then use yt.load() to get the profile
object back. This works, but boy, it's inefficient. Dealing with a whole
bunch of separate files generated by profile.save_as_dataset() is
inefficient in different way. Any ideas on streamlining this workflow?

Thanks,
Jason

------
Jason Galyardt