[yt-users] Problem Using Installer Script with Cygwin

Britton Smith brittonsmith at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 14:24:33 PDT 2017

Hi Sean,

I think the install script is failing because your operating system is not
one of the options in the install script.  You can see this in the link
produced by the script.  There should be an OS type between the two hyphens
and after the word "latest", but it's missing for you.

I don't have any experience installing yt with Cygwin, but here's what I
recommend trying.  Maybe someone else can chime in if I'm wrong.

Download and install miniconda on your own just from a web browser.  Then,
once the install has finished, you can use conda to install the
dependencies with:
conda install h5py numpy matplotlib sympy scipy setuptools jupyter

Then, you should be able to install yt with pip:
pip install yt

If you want Rockstar, then you'll have to install yt from source.  First,
clone this rockstar repo and build the library:
hg clone http://bitbucket.org/MatthewTurk/rockstar
cd rockstar
make lib

Then, get the yt source:
hg clone https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt
cd yt

In there, make a file call rockstar.cfg, and give the path to the rockstar
directory, then do:
python setup.py develop

This should be mostly right, but let us know if you run into any trouble.

Britton