[yt-users] HDF5 TypeError when writing LightRay

Joseph Tomlinson jmtomlinson95 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 11:04:17 PDT 2017

Hi all,

I am trying to use the single dataset LightRay module but I am running into
an issue.
Whenever I use the data_filename parameter, which I believe is necessary
for use with AbsorptionSpectrum, I receive the following error.

TypeError: Object dtype dtype('O') has no native HDF5 equivalent

This error does not occur when I run the cookbook example so I am a bit
lost as to what to do.
I am running the latest stable version on anaconda and have tried both h5py
2.7 and 2.6.
The simulation is a cosmological Enzo simulation.

I have also tried using the nightly dev build which changes the error from
being on write to being on load with the following error.

AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'astype'
from line 326 in _restore_light_ray_solution
self.parameters[ksp3] = self.parameters[ksp3].astype(str)

When using python 2.7 the error is the same but with 'unicode' instead of
'str'.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe Tomlinson
Senior Undergraduate
Department of Physics, Drexel University