[yt-users] Nice bugfix for yt in matplotlib 1.5.3

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 13:14:07 PDT 2016

Hi all,

Matplotlib 1.5.3 was released recently and it contains a nice yt-specific
bugfix that I added to matplotlib that should make all of our lives easier.

As soon as you update matplotlib, you'll be able to make an imshow plot of
a 2D YTArray (e.g. one produced by FixedResolutionBuffer) without stripping
the array's units first.

In other words:

    import yt
    from matplotlib import pyplot as plt

    ds = yt.load(...)
    plot = yt.SlicePlot(ds, 2, 'density')

    density_image = plot.frb['density']

    plt.imshow(density_image)
    plt.show()

will actually create an imshow plot instead of erroring out as would have
happened in earlier versions of matplotlib.

For more details about this, see:
https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/6622

-Nathan Goldbaum