[yt-users] Halo Merger Trees

Britton Smith brittonsmith at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 11:14:10 PDT 2016

Hi Carla,

I think your best option right now is to use the Rockstar halo finder along
with the consistent-trees code.  For the halo finding, you will need to run
rockstar on a time-series as rockstar will do the descendent/ancestor
linking at the same time.  Here is a script to help you do that:
http://paste.yt-project.org/show/6810/

You can get the consistent trees code here:
https://bitbucket.org/pbehroozi/consistent-trees
The instructions there will tell you how to use it.

Consistent-trees will generate a large ascii file with the merger tree
information.  Reading that in can be a pain, but I have been working on a
code that can read these files and create a data structure that is pretty
easy to work with.  I am still polishing it up and adding documentation,
but this portion of it is complete.  I would prefer to wait until it is
totally done to release it to the world, but I will gladly share it with
you with a couple sample scripts to get you going.  If you're interested,
please contact me off-list and I would be glad to set you up.

Britton

On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 3:46 PM, Carla Bernhardt <carla.j.bernhardt at gmail.com