[yt-users] RuntimeError: yt attempted to read outside the boundaries

Slavin, Jonathan jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu
Thu Oct 20 08:58:09 PDT 2016

Hi all,

I have a simulation on a 3D cartesian grid and when trying to get surfaces
of various types I keep getting the error message:

​"​
RuntimeError: Error: yt attempted to read outside the boundaries of a
non-periodic domain along dimension 0.
Region left edge = -1.157125e+19 code_length, Region right edge =
1.7356875e+19 code_length
Dataset left edge = 0.0 code_length, Dataset right edge = 9.257e+19
code_length

This commonly happens when trying to compute ghost cells up to the domain
boundary. Two possible solutions are to load a smaller region that does not
border the edge or override the periodicity for this dataset.
​"​

​​So, I don't think I should override the periodicity for the dataset,
since it is decidedly not periodic.  I could load a smaller region, I
suppose, but not without significant effort, since I really want to include
the volume out to some radial distance from the lower left corner (0,0,0).
I would need to define some slightly smaller octant, I guess.  Anyway,
shouldn't there be some way to specify to yt that it should calculate ghost
zones via some given boundary condition?  That is, if it really even needs
to use ghost zones (which I'm not sure why it does).

​Regards,
Jon​

Jonathan D. Slavin                 Harvard-Smithsonian CfA
jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu       60 Garden Street, MS 83
phone: (617) 496-7981       Cambridge, MA 02138-1516
cell: (781) 363-0035             USA