[yt-users] Data Objects across simulation files

Jason Galyardt jason.galyardt at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 08:55:16 PDT 2016

Dear yt-users,

Does anyone know whether it's possible to define a data object using one
simulation file (an AMR grid simulation -- FLASH) and then apply that
physical selection region to another simulation file (representing a
different time in the same simulation)?

For example, I'd like construct a cut_region data object using, say,
temperature and density to select a particular feature at time t_n; I would
then like to look at the gas in this same physical region at time t_m,
where t_m < t_n. I assume that this would require somehow converting a
collection of cells making up the cut_region from time t_n to a description
of a (complex) geometrical selection, then applying this geometrical
selection to the data file from time t_m. The caveat here is that the cells
in the selected region may have time-varying levels of refinement.

This seems like a non-trivial feature to implement, so I thought I'd ask
whether it's already available.

Cheers,
Jason

------